clivey
post Mar 22 2008, 03:05 PM
Post #16

Group: Member50
Member No.: 3,772

Rig(s):
Suzuki Samurai

QUOTE(brestman @ Mar 21 2008, 10:18 PM) *
sounds very encouraging Clivey...any idea how much you spent on fuel?

I don't remember exactly how much I spent on fuel but it wasn't a lot. The land sections of the journey are only from Manila to Batangas City and from Calapan to Roxas. They're not that long. Para ka lang siguro pumunta ng Baguio, maybe less pa. Besides, the roads were good all the way to Roxas. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif)

You'll spend more on roro passage for your vehicle and all passengers, but even that is not very expensive. Definitely cheaper and more memorable than taking a plane! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Like I said, you can save a lot by leaving your car in Roxas if your end destination is Caticlan. Sayang lang to take your car along, only to park it in Caticlan.

I used to have a list of the roro shipping companies that plied the nautical highway. Complete with contact numbers. I'll look for it and post it for your reference. I hope I find it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/g.gif)

Summer would be the best time to make the trip as the sea is very calm this time of year.

PS. Even if the road network can be described as good to very good, I'd still recommend that you take a rugged vehicle for the trip. The ramps of the roro ships can be rough on light duty suspensions.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

paj4x4
post Mar 22 2008, 03:13 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 276

Rig(s):
1997 Samurai
1999 Gen 2.5 Pajero (Local)
1996 LC 80 Dubai Ver (FZJ80)
1998 LC 100 US Ver (UZJ100)
2010 LC 200 PHDM (VDJ200)

Great info. I'll keep a close watch on this thread as I'm planning to take a road trip to Bacolod, Cebu, and Bohol next year.

+Quote Post

clivey
post Mar 22 2008, 03:28 PM
Post #18

Rig(s):
Suzuki Samurai

QUOTE(vsperalta @ Mar 22 2008, 10:08 AM) *
Alternate Route using Roro would be like this:

BATANGAS (Batangas City) (sea) ORIENTAL MINDORO (Calapan) (land) ORIENTAL MINDORO (Roxas) (sea) AKLAN (Caticlan) (land) ILOILO (Iloilo City) (sea) NEGROS OCCIDENTAL (Bacolod City) (land) NEGROS ORIENTAL (Dumaguete City) (sea) SIQUIJOR (Larena) (sea) BOHOL (Tagbilaran City) (sea) CEBU (Cebu City)

Is this a confirmed route? As in, has someone actually used it to get to Cebu?

It's very interesting as it covers almost all the areas worth visiting in the Panay-Negros-Visayas area. You can even leave your vehicle in Iloilo and take a short trip to Guimaras.

From Cebu one can take the Super Ferry straight back to Manila. More adventurous souls can find a ferry passage to Ormoc, Leyte and take the Maharlika Highway via Samar-Bicol-Quezon back to Manila.

Very interesting... and tempting.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif)

+Quote Post

Fast White Cat (...
post Mar 23 2008, 02:43 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 2,907

Rig(s):
2006 Ford Everest 4x4 M/T

QUOTE(clivey @ Mar 22 2008, 03:28 PM) *
Is this a confirmed route? As in, has someone actually used it to get to Cebu?

It's very interesting as it covers almost all the areas worth visiting in the Panay-Negros-Visayas area. You can even leave your vehicle in Iloilo and take a short trip to Guimaras.

From Cebu one can take the Super Ferry straight back to Manila. More adventurous souls can find a ferry passage to Ormoc, Leyte and take the Maharlika Highway via Samar-Bicol-Quezon back to Manila.

Very interesting... and tempting.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif)

Yup. It's known as the Strong Republic Nautical Highway. My brother has taken the route several times in coming from and going to Cagayan de Oro. From Dumaguete, instead of crossing over to Cebu, he takes the ferry to Dipolog and from there drives to CdeO.

As for me, I prefer the Pan Philippine (Maharlika) Highway in going to Mindanao. Just two ferry crossings and they are shorter than the crossing from Mindoro to Panay.

--------------------
On the tracks or on the trail, go Ford...

+Quote Post

clivey
post Mar 23 2008, 12:03 PM
Post #20

Rig(s):
Suzuki Samurai

QUOTE(Fast White Cat (FWC) @ Mar 23 2008, 02:43 AM) *
Yup. It's known as the Strong Republic Nautical Highway. My brother has taken the route several times in coming from and going to Cagayan de Oro. From Dumaguete, instead of crossing over to Cebu, he takes the ferry to Dipolog and from there drives to CdeO.

That's what I knew about the SRNH also - that the Dumaguete ferry goes to Dapitan (Dipolog). It's the connection to Bohol and on to Cebu that I'm not sure about. I heard that there's a ferry service between Guinhulngan Negros Or. (3hrs from Dumaguete) to Dumanjug, Cebu but I still have to check if the boats can carry vehicles. My impression is that they just take passengers.

Would you know how long it takes your brother to drive from Manila to Cagayan de Oro? And is the Dipolog to CdeO leg a straight land trip or is there a roro service, say from Ozamis to Iligan (or at least to Kolambugan)? That would cut travel time and mileage significantly.

I'm familiar with the area because I was assigned to Zambo Peninsula/Northern Mindanao for a few months (way back '89) and used to cover Zamboanga - Pagadian - Ozamis - Dipolog by land, with occasional forays to Iligan and Cagayan de Oro.

Happy Easter!
Clivey

+Quote Post

mayong_md
post Mar 23 2008, 02:23 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,995

Rig(s):
95 Nissan Patrol Safari GQ

Hi Guys,

Happy Easter. Hopefully, this post isn't too late.

I took my family via Roro in 2004. I'm from Bacolod, our route was:

Bacolod - by land - to San Carlos City.
San Carlos City - via Roro - to Toledo City, Cebu
Toledo City - via Transcentral Hiway (Balamban) - to Cebu City
Overnight Cebu City
Cebu City - via land - Danao Port
Danao port - Via roro - to Isabel Leyte
Isabel Leyte - via land - to Ormoc City
2 nights in Ormoc
Ormoc - via land - To Tacloban
Tacloban - via land - to Allen Samar
Samar - via roro - to Matnog, Sorsogon
Matnog - roro- to Sorsogon city
Overnight Sorsogon
Sorsogon - by land to Donsol, then to Albay, then to Naga.
Naga - overnight - then by land straight to Canlubang.

Return trip
From Canlubang, by land to Batangas city port
Batangas via roro to Calapan
Calapan via land to Puerto Galera - Oceana resort
PG to Roxas mindoro by land
Roxas -via roro to Caticlan
Caticlan - via land - to Iloilo City/Dumangas port
Dumangas - via Roro - to Bacolod

There are other routes as well but I haven't tried them.

I can't remember all the details now but my wifey came up with a scrap book of the trip. I'll need to read it 1st if you need more info.

One thing that struck me, the route I took seemed a well oiled one. I believe these routes existed a long time before we took them. It was definitely a commercial route coz most of the roro vehicles were small container vans and buses.

Hope this helps.

+Quote Post

Fast White Cat (...
post Mar 23 2008, 03:56 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 2,907

Rig(s):
2006 Ford Everest 4x4 M/T

QUOTE(clivey @ Mar 23 2008, 12:03 PM) *
It's the connection to Bohol and on to Cebu that I'm not sure about. I heard that there's a ferry service between Guinhulngan Negros Or. (3hrs from Dumaguete) to Dumanjug, Cebu.

Would you know how long it takes your brother to drive from Manila to Cagayan de Oro? And is the Dipolog to CdeO leg a straight land trip or is there a roro service, say from Ozamis to Iligan (or at least to Kolambugan)? That would cut travel time and mileage significantly.

There are tree ferry crossings between Negros and Bohol. There's the one fron Guinhulngan as you mentioned, another one from San Carlos, and the other one at Dumaguete.

I've only tried the San Carlos and the Dumaguete crossings. Personally, I prefer the San Carlos ferry as it crosses to Toledo which is closer to Cebu city. And if it's day time and I feel a little adventurous, I pass through Balamban and cross over to Cebu city using the Transcentral Highway. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Using the SRNH, my brother takes anything from 36 to 48 hours, depending on their departure times, timing of ferry schedules, and whether they rest overnight or not. They take the overland route from Dipolog to CdeO.

But Pan-Philippine Highway is shorter. Just follow the buses leaving Pasay at 3 PM. You can be in Davao city after 27 to 30 hours of non-stop driving. The only difficulty of this route is the rough road in Samar.

--------------------
On the tracks or on the trail, go Ford...

+Quote Post

barcus
post Mar 23 2008, 08:32 PM
Post #23

Group: Mud Pit Mod
Member No.: 475

a friend told me that there's a new simpler route via the central nautical highway. only 2 roro trips from manila to cebu. the route supposedly is as follows:

land trip - from manila to sorsogon
roro - from sorsogon to mabate
roro - from masbate to cebu

looks a lot simpler. can anyone confirm this?

--------------------

+Quote Post

DEFPOTEC
post Mar 23 2008, 09:28 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 35

hi alain, kelan mo ba balak ito? might be doing a road trip also but to sorgogon only... sometime may first week... destination would be donsol...

+Quote Post

clivey
post Mar 23 2008, 11:05 PM
Post #25

Rig(s):
Suzuki Samurai

QUOTE(Fast White Cat (FWC) @ Mar 23 2008, 03:56 PM) *
But Pan-Philippine Highway is shorter. Just follow the buses leaving Pasay at 3 PM. You can be in Davao city after 27 to 30 hours of non-stop driving. The only difficulty of this route is the rough road in Samar.

I'm not sure if the Pan-Phil Highway would be good this summer given that Southern Bicol and Samar are disaster areas following recent flooding. It is encouraging though that there are numerous roro connections between Negros island and Cebu. I'm sure they've been around for so long. I just didn't know where they were.

Thanks!

+Quote Post

wreckless
post Mar 24 2008, 03:00 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 57

Back in 2004, Ungas, Afrasay and I took our patrols from Manila up to Guimaras (Ungas only up to Caticlan).
Drive: Manila - Batangas City
Sea: Batangas Pier - Calapan Mindoro
Drive: Calapan - Roxas Mindoro
Sea: Roxas Mindoro - Caticlan
(leave vehicle in Caticlan and ride a boat going to Boracay)
Drive: Caticlan, Aklan - Iloilo City
Sea: Iloilo City - Jordan Pier, Guimaras
** when you reach Guimaras, you can cross over to Negros and from there, take another ferry that will take you to Cebu

Afrasay and I went back using the same route (we drove through Capiz over midnight..scary..hehehehe); but when we got back in Roxas, Mindoro, we drove to Puerto Galera and took the ferry back to Batangas from there.

As clivey suggested, if your end destination is Caticlan/Boracay, it's better to leave your vehicle in Roxas, Mindoro.

Back in 2006, we went to another road trip and our end destination was Bohol (although we left all our vehicles in Cebu).
Drive: Manila - Matnog, Sorsogon
Sea: Matnog, Sorsogon - Allen, Samar
Drive: Samar - Isabel, Leyte (Samar road conditions are very bad.)
Sea: Isabel, Leyte - Danao, Cebu
Drive: Danao, Cebu - Cebu City
Sea / Ferry : Cebu - Bohol (no more vehicles), roamed around Bohol using a rented van.
(When we got back from Bohol, we drove from Cebu City to Badian to see Kawasan Falls)
On the way back from Cebu, we took a ferry from Carmen, Cebu (the town next to Danao) up to Ormoc, Leyte.
Driving way back to Manila, we also passed by Bacon and Donsol Sorsogon.

This post has been edited by wreckless: Mar 24 2008, 03:01 PM

--------------------
user posted image
i drive fast but i ain't reckless...
just wreck-less!
OFFROADING is not only a MAN's WORLD...
it can also be a GIRL THING!!!
wreckless@tsikot.com

+Quote Post

barcus
post Mar 24 2008, 06:43 PM
Post #27

Group: Mud Pit Mod
Member No.: 475

haha raffy matagal pa ako. third quarter pa wedding ng friend. wont hurt to research early hehehe

hi wreckless. so how many days did it took you to get to cebu from manila?

This post has been edited by barcus: Mar 24 2008, 06:45 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

clivey
post Mar 24 2008, 09:47 PM
Post #28

Rig(s):
Suzuki Samurai

QUOTE(barcus @ Mar 24 2008, 06:43 PM) *
haha raffy matagal pa ako. third quarter pa wedding ng friend. wont hurt to research early hehehe

Third quarter?! That's the height of the rainy/typhoon season! I'd think twice about taking a long drive over a new route (for me) with ferry crossings.

Ever seen news footage of travellers stranded for days at a port because ships were not allowed to sail due to bad weather? A friend found himself in such a situation in Leyte, and it was terrible daw. Tried to sleep in the terminal but couldn't because babies were crying all the time. Lived on crackers and instant noodles, and waited in line to use the dirty and overflowing toilet..

+Quote Post

wreckless
post Mar 25 2008, 05:12 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 57

QUOTE(barcus @ Mar 24 2008, 06:43 PM) *

Hmmm.. we came from Gen Luna, Quezon (5 hours away from Manila)..drove from morning until afternoon to Matnog, Sorsogon..took the last RORO trip to Allen, Samar. We spent the night in Kinabranan Resort in Allen.
Left early morning and drove until Isabel, Leyte (we had a quick take out lunch from Jollibee Tacloban); 1230pm ata ung trip na un.
From Isabel, we rode the ferry to Danao, Cebu... so I would say, doable ung 2-days for you to reach Cebu.
Important lang ung ferry schedules; sometimes you really have to drive fast to catch it unless you want to take it the next day pa. We drove like crazy to reach Isabel from Tacloban .. reached Isabel in less or a little more than an hour (which takes 2 hours relaxed driving).

--------------------
user posted image
i drive fast but i ain't reckless...
just wreck-less!
OFFROADING is not only a MAN's WORLD...
it can also be a GIRL THING!!!
wreckless@tsikot.com

+Quote Post

brestman
post Mar 25 2008, 06:19 PM
Post #30

Group: 4x4PH Moderator
Member No.: 460

QUOTE(DEFPOTEC @ Mar 23 2008, 09:28 PM) *
hi alain, kelan mo ba balak ito? might be doing a road trip also but to sorgogon only... sometime may first week... destination would be donsol...

Doc same here...in time with our mid-year convention...I hope the mantas and the budanding show up! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif)

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Advertisement
Useful links
Recently Added Topics

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing items in a set called 4x4 Philippines. Make your own badge here.

Your ad here, right now. Click to bid.
Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2014 - 01:43 AM

SEO services by Digital Traffic
Skin by IPB Customize
Invision skins